The Linn County Human Resources Department seeks to include and engage all customers by providing information and assistance, promoting development opportunities, recommending best practices for performance management and contract administration and following equitable, legal and cost-effective employment practices.
We support Linn County's strategic goals of:
- Meeting customer expectations by supporting employees with tools and resources to advance the customer experience
- Creating a culture of empowered and engaged employees who understand what customers expect of their products and make satisfaction and innovation high priorities
- Protecting financial assets against loss through risk mitigation.
The departmental outcomes that Human Resources strives to attain include:
- Hiring and retaining qualified applicants
- Empowering and engaging employees
- Creating satisfying and innovative products
- Advancing employees' skills and development
- Improving the total performance of the workforce
- Preventing loss from poor, inconsistent or discriminatory practices
- Listening and making customer satisfaction a priority.
Administration of Classification & Compensation Plan
Develops and updates the county's job classifications, with a variety of positions ranging from heavy equipment operators, social workers, law enforcement, and non-bargaining unit and management staff. Also implements the county's compensation plans for approximately 800 employees.
Labor Relations & Collective Bargaining
Negotiates eight labor agreements and administers the contracts including handling grievances:
- Clerical, Maintenance, Para-Professional and Professional bargaining units
- Deputy Sheriffs & Communications Operators
- Assistant County Attorneys
- Emergency Management
Please click here to view any of the above labor agreements.
Job Recruiting and Affirmative Action Guidelines
Directs the county's compliance with federal and state laws and county policies regarding equal opportunity and affirmative action. Recruits candidates for county positions.
Administration of County Benefits
Administers county benefit plans including group health, dental, vision and life insurance plans, long term disability, deferred compensation, sick leave and vacation benefits set forth in the labor agreements, the employee wellness program, and policies and procedures for non-bargaining employees.
Administration of Employee Development Programs
Team member of the county Employee Development Committee and LC3 Steering Committee. Implements training programs as directed by the committees.
It is the policy of Linn County to recruit and select the most qualified candidates for positions in the County's service. Recruitment and selection shall be conducted in an affirmative manner which ensures open competition and provides equal employment opportunities as protected by state and federal law.