Due to the number of positive COVID-19 cases and hospitalizations across the country and locally, Linn County has closed most buildings to the public to help reduce community spread of the virus and to help ensure continuity of County services.
The Linn County Board of Supervisors wanted to achieve a development that incorporates and protects the site's significant environmental features, respects its agricultural heritage, and provides a mix of housing types with a thoughtful integration of commercial uses.
After issuing a Request for Proposals (RFP) for Concept Planning Services, Reynolds Urban Design of Des Moines was awarded the contract. Reynolds held several work sessions with a 12-member planning committee to develop the framework for a successful project, to create and review alternate concept plans and to arrive at a Phase 1 concept plan.
The Phase 1 concept plan allocated 75 percent of the entire site as open green space or working farm. The remaining 25 percent of the site is shown as a mix of housing types with a thoughtful integration of commercial uses, with an estimated development value of $93 to $119 million.
The Phase 1 concept plan was presented at a public open house on April 12, 2018.