Victim Witness Services
Face masks are required at all times while in the Linn County Courthouse. If you do not have a face mask one will be provided to you upon entry.
If you are a victim or a witness to a crime and you have a question about your case:
- Call 319-892-6350, Monday - Friday from 8:00 am to 4:30 pm
- Ask to speak with the Victim/Witness Coordinator or Attorney assigned to your case.
- To email the Victim/Witness Division, click here
- Or you can email the Victim/Witness Coordinator that is assigned to your case:
A Message to Victims and Witnesses from Linn County Attorney Jerry Vander Sanden
The Linn County Attorney’s Office is responsible for prosecuting the crime that has been committed against you or that you have witnessed. Your cooperation is important to ensure an effective prosecution to prevent further crimes from being committed against the people of Iowa and citizens of Linn County.
We realize this may be a difficult time for you and the criminal justice system can be intimidating. We cannot erase the painful memories of a crime, but we hope to ease your journey as the victim or witness through the criminal justice system and the court process. We will do our best to help you understand your role in the system and to answer your questions.
You will have contact with our Victim Witness Division Staff as well as the attorney handling your case. Our Victim Witness Division Staff can provide many services and referrals and they are available to help you if you have questions.
Victims of a Serious Misdemeanor, an Aggravated Misdemeanor or a Felony level case will:
- Have a Victim Witness Coordinator assigned to your case
- Receive a Victim Packet from the Linn County Attorney’s Office, which includes:
- Victim Registration form
- Victim Restitution form
- Victim Impact Statement form
- Please complete these forms and return within 30 days.
- If you did not receive this paperwork or have lost it, please contact our office and a second set will be mailed to you.
- Call the Victim Witness Coordinator assigned to your case:
- If you have any questions about the Victim Packet
- If you need help completing the Victim Packet
- If your address, phone number, or email address changes
- If you have any questions about the status of your case
Victims of a Simple Misdemeanor:
- If you are the victim of a Simple Misdemeanor level crime you will not receive the Victim Packet.
- Questions should be directed to the Simple Misdemeanor Division Attorney at (319) 892-6350.
Reporting a Crime:
If you believe you’ve been the victim of a crime, you must make a report with the local law enforcement agency where the crime occurred.
- Cedar Rapids Police Department: 319-286-5491
- Hiawatha Police Department: 319-393-1212
- Linn County Sheriff’s Department: 319-892-6100
- Lisbon Police Department: 319-455-2452
- Marion Police Department: 319-377-1511
- Mt. Vernon Police Department: 319-895-6141
- Robins Police Department: 319-366-5055
After an investigation by law enforcement, the law enforcement agency may forward a complaint to the Linn County Attorney’s Office. After review, the county attorney will decide what charges, if any, are filed.